Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Abajo y Arriba en el Sol y Basilica




Yesterday I woke up to the unroyal rumbling of more buses and a pack of dogs fighting and howling, and I realized I needed to leave Quito soon. I have made arrangements to travel to the big city´s antithesis, Mindo, a small town situated in a very large cloudy rainforest in the mountains, where I will be volunteering for the eco-friendly, tropical bird-loving Mindo Cloud Forest Foundation. I left the house feeling better about my next move and met with two friends, who have been making their way steadily from Mexico towards Bolivia, and had stopped in Quito briefly before leaving again. I celebrated the well-spirited, sunny afternoon like I used to in college, by drinking early, and a half bottle of Zhumir later I was climbing the belfry of the Basilica, my second favorite church in the world (next only to Milan´s Duomo), that took one hundred years to build. In most churches in Europe, there are more passageways, stairwells, and windows locked or roped off than are accessible. But in the Basilica you can climb almost anywhere, and even change the time on the big clocks if you are both knowledgeable and inclined. Like most wonderful opportunities, it will stay this way until somebody breaks something important, or gets fatally hurt and ruins it. We climbed safely up and walked across the top of the church on a shaky wooden bridge, and soon I was meditating in the open air of one tower and then drinking coffee and cognac in another. It felt good to be with familiar friends again, acting loosely in the cathedral sunshine.
Later that night I found out I was rejected by Teach For America, a job I feel very sure that I was overqualified for. I´m used to women doling out my rejection, but this is the first time a job or school has turned me down, and I can´t help but feel a bit stung.
I woke up hours later very sober, again hearing the chorus of street dogs fighting to certain death or submission, and I had my first ¨What the hell are you doing in South America" moment. It struck me that I´m on another hemisphere without financial prospects, spending the little money I actually have. I thought I had a plan of return, but now I really don´t, and this is both liberating and slightly frightening. I have planned this trip with the idea that I don´t know where I´m going, and I guess I can now extend the metaphor beyond the trip itself. I have a feeling I am not alone in this regard. For now, I´ll uphold my Panglossian disposition and maintain that the best of all possibilities always happens, because its the only way it happens, and I´ll move forward spiritedly to the mountain rainforests of Mindo in another few days.

In another, non-sequiturial note: have you ever wondered where all the Sacagawea dollars went? Well, they all went to Ecuador. The economy here has been US dollarized for almost a decade now, and while they often print their own coins, they use our forgotten gold dollar very commonly.

Lastly, I have updated some of the older blogs with pictures. Check them out, and never be afraid to comment, even if it is something small. It is good fuel for me to keep writing. Paz.



8 comments:

  1. "Like most wonderful opportunities, it will stay this way until somebody breaks something important, or gets fatally hurt and ruins it." such wisdom and so true! i was in minnesota last week and discovered one of my favorite childhood parks had been torn down due to the possible safety hazard of a three story rocketship fort. they even replaced the sand with some squishy, rubber outdoor flooring stuff.

    sorry to hear about tfa. it's a really competitive program, especially for english majors (they usually are swamped with humanities applicants and in desperate need of science/math teachers). i am sure some other amazing new adventure awaits you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My recommendation for TFA was nothing short of amazing. They're silly. Fortunately, there are endless opportunities out there. I discovered a program in D.C. called Inspired Teaching, www.inspiredteaching.org, and it looks like something that might peak your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They probably rejected you because you were so impressive that they didn't want to be responsible for holding you back in their silly ol' program.

    As far as getting to climb that church... very very cool! Any pictures of you up on it? Did you take the two photos above?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humanities major in need of a job? Don't worry, Sam, the cultural revolution is coming.

    In the meantime, rest easy with the knowledge that, as a professional wanderer with friends in places high, low, and distant, the opportunities available to you in sum, I think you will find, make up an impressive amount.

    I think of you as a person perhaps "lost" in the physical world, but not someone lost to his own ambitions. For this reason--and given how we are increasingly less restricted by physical limitations and the availability of information--I'm confident you'll find your 'place'; even if it's not an immediately discernible physical place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that the church with turtle-gargoyles on the outside? It's beautiful.

    Too much Zhumir and you'll go ciego, amigo.

    Have fun in Mindo. I've been to the cloud forest in Cajas and it was otherworldly. I wonder if it's the same climate.

    And don't worry about TFA, you'll have the rest of your life to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate all the support. I am not sweating the TFA thing anymore, I´m better off without having somewhere I need to be. Nevertheless, all this has increased my chances of returning to my favorite city in the world, Pittsburgh, if for only the summer. Unless i meet a beautiful ecuadorian woman here and stay forever, but they don´t seem to be digging me, todovia .

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact, I HAVE been concerned about the disappearance of our Sacagaweas. Now its all Zachary Taylor and Lady Liberty, and visiting Canadians are asking me why 7-11 won't accept our US Dollar coins...

    ReplyDelete